I'm always a little confused when people call a year an "election year". Every year is an election year for something. Charlton has quite a bit happening in a short time:
April 12, 2011: 6th Worcester District State Rep. Special Election Primary
- On the Republican side, Peter Durant is running unopposed.
- On the Democrat side, Joanne Powell is challenging incumbent Geraldo Alicea.
May 7, 2011: Charlton Municipal Election
- Board of Selectmen (seat 4): Incumbent Scott Brown is being challenged by Brent Sellew and Joseph Safarowicz
- Board of Selectmen (seat 5): Incumbent Kathleen Walker is unopposed.
- Town Clerk: Darlene Tully, who was appointed to the position after Sue Nichols retired, is being challenged by William Guy.
- Tree Warden: Incumbent Todd Burlingame is being challenged by Dennis DiPierri
- Dudley-Charlton School Committee (1 year): A 4-way race between Elaine Rabbitt, Joshua Evans, Deborah Marquis and Robert O’Brien.
- And running unopposed:
- Moderator: me
- Cemetary Commission: Donna Neylon
- Assessor: Patricia Gill
- Board of Health: Matt Gagner
- Planning Board: John McGrath
- Water-Sewer Commissioners (vote for 2): Robert Lemansky and Joe Haebler
- Library Trustees (vote for 2): Richard Whitehead and Karen Spiewak
- Recreation Committee (3 years): Warren Snow
- Recreation Committee (1 year to fill vacancy): Linda Bellows
- Housing Authority: Carol Smeltzer
- Southern Worcester County Regional Vocational School Committee: Olaf Garcia
- Dudley-Charlton School Committee (3 years): Ray Chalk
- And there may also be a Prop. 2½ debt exclusion on the ballot, if the selectmen choose to put it on there.
May 10, 2011: 6th Worcester District State Rep. Special Election
- The Republican candidate, presumably Peter Durant unless there's a strong write-in campaign or something, which I'd find unlikely.
- The Democratic candidate, either Joanne Powell or Geraldo Alicea.
- Independent candidate Bob Cirba.
- Independent candidate Peter Boria.
There are many, many interesting contests unfolding over the next couple months. Should be fun to watch and participate in.